Roast Prime Rib of Beef tends to be an expensive roast and here we have a nearly foolproof and easy recipe for serving up a smashing Roast Prime Rib of Beef for your special holiday dinner.
I love using this method for Roast Prime Rib of Beef. It is nearly foolproof but several factors must be kept in mind for you to make the perfect rib roast. First, the roast MUST be at room temperature for several hours before roasting. 6 or more hours is preferred. You have to have accurate oven temp here. If you are not sure if your oven is accurate, try to get an oven thermometer and test it before attempting to roast this beautiful piece of meat. Next, you will need a calculator. Nothing serious here but you will need to calculate the poundage of your roast by 5 minutes. Using the example above, we are going to do this recipe using a 5.75 pound rib roast with 2 ribs. This will feed approximately 4 adults.
If you follow the simple steps, you will have a perfect Roast Prime Rib of Beef for that special dinner. This recipe will net you rare to medium rare Roast Prime Rib of Beef roast to serve. If you want a more well done roast simply calculate extra minutes in the initial cooking stage and use a meat thermometer.
So, my roast is 5.75 lbs. x 5 minutes = 28.75 minutes. I will round up to 29 minutes and add 1 minute for the heat lost when opening the oven door. Keep this in the back of your mind for future reference.
ROAST PRIME RIB OF BEEF RECIPE:
- 1 5.75 pound prime rib roast of beef (2 bones)
There are no measurements here. Just generous amounts of the following:
- Butter at room temperature
- Herbs de Provence
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Kosher salt – a generous amount
- Chef Ron Lock’s Spicy Horseradish Sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (this MUST be an accurate temp)
- Put roast, rib side down in roasting pan
- Mix the pepper and herbs in the butter until well combined.
- Spread the butter mixture over the entire surface of the prime rib. The more the better.
- Put the kosher salt over the entire surface of the butter. Be very GENEROUS. Use more than you think you should here. Most of the salt will run off and very little will remain on the meat. I can’t stress the “generous” enough.
- Put the roast in the 500 degree oven for 30 minutes as outlined in step 1. The time will be according to the size of your roast. After the 30 minutes, simply turn the oven off and walk away from it for 2 hours. Yup, just walk away. Do NOT open the door, fiddle with it or anything else. Pretend the roast does not exist.
- After 2 hours, remove the roast and LET SIT at least 15 min to allow it to rest before carving!
- Slice and serve. You can remove the rib bones for easier slicing and it also makes it easier to get 4 generous servings from the roast. Save the bones! Serve with au jus or Chef Ron Lock’s Spicy Horseradish Sauce etc. Whatever you like. You will surely love this method. You will get a succulent, moist roast between rare and medium rare. Perfect!